.:: Usoft Technologie ::.  

Go Back   .:: Usoft Technologie ::. > .:: Smart Phone‏ ::. > Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, Apps, Games, Accessories, Android

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Default Failed to obtain IP., about Galaxy Note 10.1

UsoftTech :: WwW.UsoftTech.CoM ::

Failed to obtain IP.

So, weird thing started to happen last night. Both my Samsung devices ( my 2014 10.1 and my S4) started failing to get an IP from my wifi network. It would see the wifi network and report a strong signal, but would fail at the obtaining IP address. The IP assignment is handled by a Windows DHCP service running on a domain controller. I work in IT so I have a fairly extensive lab at home with routers, switches, servers, domain controllers, etc. The wireless access point in my home is a WNDR3700 with no WAN port config as my firewall/routing is done by a Cisco ASA 5505. All the 3700 does is provide wireless access to the network, essentially it acts solely as a wifi AP. Every other wireless device on the network is functioning fine including 3 laptops, a Blackberry and two other Android tablets ( Asus Transformers). So I know nothing is wrong with the dhcp or the AP in general. It's not a security issue as it is not failing on authentication, just on obtaining IP. So as a workaround I configured each one with a static IP and, of course, everything works fine.

One thing I noticed that seemed odd was that when I went to change the IP addr the address that was already in there, but greyed out sort of, was the wrong network for my home wifi. The phone and tablet both looked like they had a 192.168.1.0/24 address whereas my home wifi segment is 192.168.0.0/24. So maybe that had something to do with it. At the office now and both my phone and tablet have no issue connecting to our Cisco APs and getting a dhcp config from a Windows DHCP server. So pretty weird situation. I'm fine with leaving them on static config while on my home wifi network. Was just wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

Thanks

Failed to obtain IP.

new thread of Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, Apps, Games, Accessories, Android